- 1 Metre of soft cotton fabric will make 10 x masks
- Approximately 0.75cm narrow elastic per mask
- 1 Pipe Cleaner / 30cm wire per mask
- Matching thread
- Cut x 3 using the Face Mask Pattern – email me for the PDF firstname.lastname@example.org
A FOOTS WIDTH SEAM ALLOWANCE
- Seam 2 pieces together along the top with a foots width seam allowance.
- With the other piece, fold the top edge over no more than 1cm and zig zag down.
- Open out the 2 pieces that you seamed together and fold in half the other way.
- Pin the curved edges right sides together, ready to sew.
- Do the same to the other piece.
- Stitch the curved edges with a foots width seam allowance.
- Open out the seams you have just stitched.
- Under-stitch these seams from the right side so that the seam is pulled flat and stitched down on to the seam allowance.
- Cut the wire 5cm shorter than the folded back edge (channel) and make sure the ends aren’t sharp by bending the wire or using tape.
- Feed the wire through channel.
- Cut the elastic in half, then fold each piece in half… one for each side.
- Pin and sew the elastic as shown on to the right side of the fabric. LOOK AT EDIT BELOW!!
- Having worn the face mask out a couple of times, I decided it would be even more comfortable if I moved the position of the top elastic to the top edge, rather than the side.
- You can do this now, or at the end like I did! I cut the top bit of elastic off, unpicked a little hole where I wanted it to go, slotted it in and top-stitched it in place!
- The piece/pieces that were stitched together and under-stitched, should now be folded together so they are the same shape as the other piece, and pressed carefully.
- This double piece slots, right sides together with the other, sandwiching the elastic between.
- Pin, with all the edges exactly together, down the side, along the bottom edge to and up the other side.
- Stitch together with a foots width seam allowance.
- Turn it all right side out and press nice and flat
- Top-stitch close to the edge, about 5cm along the top edge, down the side, along the bottom edge, up the other side and about 5cm along the top edge on the other side.
- The finished mask is 3 layers thick, a snug fit with room to breathe and it has a pocket to put in a filter if so desired.